Almond Biscotti with Cornmeal
These Almond Biscotti with Cornmeal blends almonds
with a bit of cornmeal to create a delightfully crunchy and tasty
cookie. This recipe uses raw almonds and almond
extract to obtain a characteristically almond flavor. If you choose to use artificial almond flavoring don’t expect the same aromatics and almond taste.
If you want to take your corn meal flavor to the next level, get the best
stone ground cornmeal you can find. And be sure to enjoy!
ALMOND BISCOTTI WITH CORNMEAL Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or
a non-stick baking liner and set this aside.
- Position your oven rack in the center of
your oven. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder,
salt, and cornmeal together until well blended.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar
together at medium speed until very smooth (for about 3 minutes). Add the eggs and continue beating, scraping
down the bowl as needed. This should be for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is light
and creamy. Now beat in the almond extract.
- Begin stirring with the spoon, add the dry
ingredients, until combined.
You should have soft, sticky dough that will stick to the spoon. Stir in the almonds and mix just to blend.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work
surface and knead just until the dough comes together.
- Divide into two equal portions and move one half of
the dough onto one half of your prepared baking sheet. Lightly dust your hands
with flour and shape the dough into a 1 1/2 inch by 12 inch log. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Place the baking sheet on the center rack of your
oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the top of the logs are lightly
golden, soft, and springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and place the baking sheet on a
wire rack and allow the logs to cool for about 30 minutes. (Leave the oven set at
350° or preheat again before continuing).
- Transfer the logs to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs on a
slight diagonal into 3/4 inch slices. Use a gentle sawing motion to cut through
the top crust.
- Move the
slices back to the baking sheet standing them up on their 'bottoms'. Bake the biscotti for another 15 minutes, or
until they are golden and firm.
- Place baking sheet on a wire rack and allow the
biscotti to cool completely on the sheet.
- Store in air tight container to maintain
Back to the top of almond biscotti with cornmeal
Questions or Comments?
Like a recipe or something you read? LET US KNOW!
Have a Question don't be shy, ASK US!