Cranberry Biscotti with White Chocolate
The original version of this Cranberry Biscotti with White
Chocolate was given to me by my aunt. Through trial and error I have come up
with a version that I enjoy best. So
every time I visit my aunt at Christmas time, I have to make, bake and bring a
batch of these; it’s kind of a tradition now.
These are very sweet biscotti and some of the eater’s
reviewers have complained that they are too sweet. I am publishing the recipe,
with the original amount of sugar it, but I have baked it after reducing sugar
to 1 cup, and it is still Excellent
I baker friend made these change with very good result.
Used 1/2 c white
sugar and 1/4 c Splenda brown sugar. Used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 1/2
(scant) cups regular flour. Finally, he added 1/2 cup of chopped cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cranberries
and 3/4 cup toasted whole almonds and increase almond extract.
- For those of you who like a little spiced up version. Soak
the cranberries in brandy for at least 24 hours if not for days. Drain them
before adding them to the recipe.
- Replace almond extract with vanilla and added 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest.
- Use good dark
chocolate instead of the white chocolate. The result is a nice contrast with
the chocolate and sweet biscotti.
- Swap out some chopped white chocolate chips for the cranberries
and eliminate the drizzle, easier to make, with the same great taste.
Conclusion: I l LOVE these Cranberry Biscotti.....but.... DEFINITELY, would reduce
Cranberry Biscotti with White Chocolate REcipe
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries (about 6 ounces)
- 1 egg white
- 6 ounces good-quality white chocolate (such as Lindt or
Baker's), chopped, or white chocolate chips
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon
baking mat and set aside.
- Place one oven rack in the center of oven and
preheat oven to 350 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and
fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- In another bowls combine flour and baking powder; gradually
add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cranberries and vanilla chips.
- Divide dough into
three portions, place on prepared baking sheet and shape each portion into a
10-in. x 2-in. rectangle.
- Place into over and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly
- Remove for over and cool for 5 minutes, or until cool enough
to handle. Transfer to a cutting board;
cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1-in. slices.
- Place cut side down back on to baking sheet. Bake for 15-20
minutes or until golden brown, turning over half way through the bake
- Remove from oven and
place on wire racks to cool.
- Stir chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water
until smooth. Remove from over water.
- Using fork, drizzle chocolate over biscotti. Place on waxed
paper and let stand until chocolate sets, about 30 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container to
Questions or Comments?
Like a recipe or something you read? LET US KNOW!
Have a Question don't be shy, ASK US!
Return from Cranberry Biscotti with White Chocolate to: