Gluten Free Biscotti Toscani
Gluten Free Biscotti Toscani are crisp
and crunchy, predominately almond flavored with a hint of orange from the added
I was first introduced to Biscotti Toscani when I went to a baking
class. It is considered to be a traditional recipe, the ingredients were pretty
basic and it did not contain any butter or oil. This recipe is not quite as
simple because it is gluten free, which requires different flours and
additional ingredients to obtain a similar texture and flavor. It also contains some butter to help the
flours bind better.
distinguishing feature of these biscotti are the chunks of almonds. To intensify the almond flavor it has a little
pure almond extract added. These twice baked cookies have a delicate flavor, great with
vanilla ice-cream, tea, frozen yogurt, or cappuccino.
Gluten Free Biscotti Toscani Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon GF baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon GF baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped fine
- Position one of your oven racks in the center of your oven
and preheat 325°F
- Cover baking sheet
with parchment paper or grease and flour baking sheet.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and
- Add eggs, extracts, and orange zest and blend in.
- In another bowl combine flours together and whisk till mixed.
- Slowly blend dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in
almonds. Add a little water if dough is too dry. Consistency should be similar
to play dough.
- After mixing, scrape the dough out onto a lightly floured
work surface and BRIEFLY knead.
- Cut in half and roll half of mixture into a log
approximately 12 inches long. Place on baking sheet and smooth into loaf about
1/2 thick and still 12 inches long. Repeat with other half of mixture side by
side on same baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes until set and lightly browned.
- Place on rack to cool for 5 minutes. Cut loaves diagonally
into slices 1/2" thick.
- Place slices on their sides on the baking sheet. Return to
oven for 10 minutes, flipping them halfway through
- Cool completely and store in tightly covered container.
Questions or Comments?
Like a recipe or something you read? LET US KNOW!
Have a Question don't be shy, ASK US!