Mothers Day Biscotti
These Mothers Day Biscotti are a great treat to make for this
celebration honoring mothers and motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence
of mothers in society.
Mother’s Day is celebrated on various days in many parts of
the world, most commonly in spring. It complements similar celebrations
honoring family members, such as Father's Day and Siblings Day.
Mother's Day in the United States is an annual holiday
celebrated on the second Sunday in May. It is the day that recognizes mothers,
motherhood and maternal bonds in general, and the positive contributions mothers
have made though out the generations.
Most Mother's Day celebrations throughout the world have quite different
origins and traditions, but most have now been influenced by the more recent
American tradition established by Anna Jarvis, who celebrated it for the first
time in 1907, then campaigned to make it an official holiday. Previous attempts
at establishing Mother's Day in the United States sought to promote peace by
means of honoring mothers who had lost or were at risk of losing their sons to
war. But these never really materialized.
Traditions on this day include churchgoing, the distribution
of carnations, and family dinners. The
holiday has been heavily commercialized by advertisers and retailers, and has
been criticized by some as a Hallmark Holiday.
What ever your reason for celibrating, why not make it really special,
with a batch of Mothers Day Biscotti
Mothers Day Biscotti Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter at room
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of Spring Time M&M’s (chocolate, yellow
and pink Morsels
- 4 oz. white chocolate for drizzle
- Powdered Red food coloring
- Line a
baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking liner and set aside.
- Place one of your oven racks in the middle location of the your oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and
salt in a bowl.
- With an electric mixer, whip the butter until
fluffy, add the eggs and vanilla and whip until well blended.
- Add egg, mixture to the flour mixture, and mix
until a soft dough forms, then fold in the M&M’s
- Turn out on to a floured surface and knead until
dough comes together.
- Divide dough in to two equal parts and shape each
into a log 12 inches long.
- On prepared baking sheet, place each log and press
flat until about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick.
- Place in oven and bake till golden brown, about
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F while logs cool.
- Place log on cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut on diagonal,
roughly 3/4 inch thick.
- Return slice to baking pan, lying on one
side. Bake for additional 30 minutes;
turning over half way through the bake.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- Transfer to waxed paper, bottom down
- Melt white chocolate in microwave or double
boiler, add a pinch of red food coloring and mix until you have a nice even
- Spoon melted chocolate into a small zip lock bag,
nip the corner off and drizzle across the top of the biscotti.
- Cool completely and store in air tight container
to keep fresh.
Questions or Comments?
Like a recipe or something you read? LET US KNOW!
Have a Question don't be shy, ASK US!