Ok this is the one that started in all. My love for Biscotti and baking.
Orange Biscotti is still one of my favorites, loaded with (optional) nuts and dried cranberries, the way I like it!
I was first introduced to this Biscotti in an Italian
cooking class. To be perfectly honest,
even though I loved to cook, I went to the class, hoping to meet some
women. I know pretty lame! Well as fate would have it, all
the woman in class were young enough to be my daughter or married.
Well I might not have found the love I was hoping
for (God work in mysterious ways) but I did fall in love with this Italian
twice baked cookie. So lucky for you
this story has a happy ending, one that is delightful to eat.
Orange biscotti recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons of Vanilla extract (or 1 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp of triple sec liquor or orange extract)
- Zest of one orange
- Optional 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans or almonds
- Optional 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons f baking powder
- Dash of salt
- Place one of your oven rack in the middle of your oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine and sugar until light and fully incorporated.
- Beat in eggs and extracts, the add orange zest.
- Fold in nuts and cranberries, if so desired.
- In another bowl, place flour, baking powder and salt, whisk to combine.
- Stir flour mixture slowly into creamed butter and sugar, being careful to not over mix.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, kneed briefly until it comes together, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in to two equal parts and shape each into a log 12 inches long.
- On prepared baking sheet, place each log and press flat until about 2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick.
- Place in oven and bake till golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 degrees.
- Place log on cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut on diagonal, roughly 2/3 inch thick.
- Return slice to baking pan, laying on one side. Bake for additional 20 minutes, turn over half way through the bake.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- Place in air tight container and store at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Questions or Comments?
Like a recipe or something you read? LET US KNOW!
Have a Question don't be shy, ASK US!
Return from Orange Biscotti to: