This Vegan Almond Biscotti is a vegetarian take on
a traditional Almond Biscotti Recipe that includes whole wheat pastry flour to give it a down to earth flavor. The texture is crisp and ranges from soft
to hard depending on how much vegetable oil you add. It has a wonderful almond flavor
that comes from adding pure almond extract along with chunks of toasted almonds.
The most distinguishing feature of these Almond
Biscotti is the whole wheat and chunks of almonds that combine to give it a whole grain taste. For this recipe use toasted almonds coarsely
chopped, to intensify the almond flavor.
These Vegan Almond Biscotti are especially good when dipped in
melted chocolate. Rather simple to do, just melt some vegan chocolate with a
little vegan grade butter subsititute and then, one by one, dip the ends of the
biscotti into the melted chocolate. Place on a waxed paper until the chocolate
hardens and they are ready to eat.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached cane sugar
- 3/4 cup smooth unsweetened applesauce
- 1-3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, toasted and chopped
- Position one of your oven racks in the center of
your oven. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment
paper or a nonstick baking liner and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking
powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar,
applesauce, oil (1 TBS for a hard biscotti, 2-3 TBS for a softer biscuit), and
- Stir the sugar mixture into the flour mixture, add
the nuts and mix until incorporated.
- After mixing, scrape the dough out onto a lightly
floured work surface and BRIEFLY knead it just until it comes together and the
divide it in half.
- With floured hands, shape the dough into two
3-inch wide "logs" about 3/4 inch thick, with the ends squared off.
- Place these on the cookie sheets. Bake the logs
for about 25 minutes. Remove the pans and reduce the oven heat to 300°F.
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and allow
the logs to cool for 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the logs on a slight
diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices.
Place back on unlined cookie sheets cut side down. Bake 5-10 minutes, or until golden on the
bottom. Turn the slices over and cook 5-10 minutes more, or until golden on
- Remove from baking sheet and place on a wire rack
and allow cool completely.
This recipe adapted from one found in
"Nonna's Italian Kitchen", a vegan Italian cookbook.
Questions or Comments?
Like a recipe or something you read? LET US KNOW!
Have a Question don't be shy, ASK US!