Vegan Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
Vegan Chocolate Walnut Biscotti are perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. For that matter any kind chocolate biscotti
is great for a sweet morning, afternoon or evening treat.
While most recipes use butter and eggs, this recipe
substitutes vegan margarine for the butter and applesauce for the eggs. It also calls for whole wheat flour making it
healthier and full of a good earthly flavor. If you don’t like the idea of whole
wheat, then go ahead and use all white flour.
As long as you have a proper binder, you can eliminate the
eggs and still make perfectly crunchy
biscotti that is lower in fat and calories too.
Biscotti tend to be and adult treat. In this case, however,
I’ve noticed some positive reactions from my vegan nieces. It probably has something to do with the
cocoa. But I’m guessing the walnuts
should be held accountable for that as well. Whatever that might be, these
biscotti were a triumph, in all respects.
Vegan Chocolate Walnut Biscotti Recipe
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Place one of your oven racks in the middle of your oven and
preheat to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking
- In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine and sugar until light
and fully incorporated. Add the apple
sauce and vanilla and blend together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Stir flour mixture slowly into creamed butter and sugar,
being careful to not over mix.
- Add nuts and mix just
- Turn dough onto floured surface, kneed briefly until it
comes together, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in to two equal parts and shape each into a log
9 inches long.
- Place the logs about 3” apart on the prepared baking
sheet and flatten them until they are about 3” to 4” wide and 1½” thick.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a
toothpick inserted in the center of the biscotti comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to
- Place log on cutting board.
Using a serrated knife, cut on diagonal, roughly 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the biscotti strips on the cookie sheet, cut side
down, and bake for about 7 minutes.
- Turn the biscotti over and bake for another 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- Place in air tight container and store at room temperature
for up to two weeks.
These Vegan Chocolate Walnut Biscotti, use the best nuts and chocolate you can afford. OliveNation one of my favorite online store has an excellent selection. Check them out!
Questions or Comments?
Like a recipe or something you read? LET US KNOW!
Have a Question don't be shy, ASK US!
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.