Double Chocolate Biscotti (with variations)
This double chocolate biscotti recipe gets double dose of chocolate
flavor. First, from cocoa powder in the dough and then from and chocolate chips,
making these twice as delicious.
- 2/3 cup whole almonds, toasted and coarsely
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Position one of your oven racks in the
center of your oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with
parchment paper or a nonstick baking liner and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour,
cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and stir in the sugar. Make a well in the
middle of the dry mix and add two of the whole eggs, the egg yolks, and
vanilla, blend the eggs a bit and mix into the dry mix until just
combined. Add the nuts and chocolate
chips and mix until incorporated.
- After mixing, scrape the dough out onto a
lightly floured work surface and BRIEFLY knead it just until it comes together
and the divide it in half. Shape each
half into a 2 1/2 inch by 12 inch flat log. The dough will be sticky so you may
need to add more flour to your hands as you go along to accomplish this.
- Carefully transfer the logs onto your
prepared baking sheet, spacing them at least 3 inches apart because they will
spread as they bake. Beat the remaining
whole egg and brush it over the logs.
- Place the baking sheet on the center rack
of your oven and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the logs are firm to the
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and
allow the logs to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees
F. Transfer the logs to a cutting board,
discarding the parchment paper. Using a
serrated knife, cut the logs on a slight diagonal into 1-inch thick
slices. Place biscotti slices on the
baking sheet cut side down.
- Bake the biscotti until they are crisp,
about 10 to 15 minutes turning halfway thorough baking.
- Remove double chocolate biscotytifrom baking sheet and place on a
wire rack and allow cool completely.
Feel free to experiment with your Double
Chocolate Biscotti - substitute white chocolate chips for the semisweet, add a
little espresso powder or orange zest to the dough, substitute chopped
macadamia nuts or hazelnuts for the almonds.
- For Darker Chocolate, use Dutch-Process
Cocoa Powder instead of regular unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Double Chocolate Biscotti w/cherries, add 1/3 cup chopped dried
cherries with the chocolate chips
- Chocolate Hazelnut, substitute hazelnuts
for the almonds.
- Double Chocolate Biscotti w/Orange, add 1 teaspoon grated
orange zest to the dough when you add the vanilla
- Double Chocolate Macadamia, substitute macadamia
nuts for the almonds.
- Double Chocolate Biscotti w/Ginger, add 1/3 cup finely
chopped crystallized ginger when you add the chocolate chips.
- Mexican Flair, add 1 teaspoon cinnamon to
the flour mixture.
- Mocha, add 1 tablespoon instant espresso
powder to the flour mixture.
- Triple Chocolate Dipped, melt 12 ounces of
your favorite chopped dark or white chocolate and dip. Place it in a narrow
heatproof container then dip half of each biscotti slice into the chocolate.
Place them on a lined cookie sheet and once dipped pop them into the
refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to harden.
Questions or Comments?
Like a recipe or something you read? LET US KNOW!
Have a Question don't be shy, ASK US!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...