Sugar Free Chocolate Biscotti
this biscotti is Gluten Free
This Sugar Free Chocolate Biscotti is also Gluten-Free and
Vegan so if all you health conscious bakers have been looking for a cookie
that can satisfy the chocolaty crisp indulgence you've been dreaming of this
might just be it.
This recipe uses a mix of high protein lower carb flours and agave to make a Biscotti has a lower
glycemic index and it's GF. It's not an all-you-can-eat cookie, as there is no such thing, but
a smarter cookie choice.
These Sugar Free Chocolate Biscotti are also vegan-no.... eggs or butter. But if you
prefer using eggs in this recipe, choose two large organic happy free-range
eggs instead of the egg replacer.
Sugar Free Chocolate Biscotti Recipe (GF too)
- 1 cup GF millet flour
- 2/3 cup GF buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg, to taste
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 to 3/4 chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired
- 1/2 cup Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 2/3 cup organic raw agave nectar
- 1/3 cup sesame tahini or sunflower seed butter
- 1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla extract
- Egg Replacer for 2 large eggs- I used Ener-G Egg
Replacer made with warm water
- 2 tablespoons coconut, soy, nut or hemp milk, more
- Position one of your oven racks in the center of your oven
and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together your dry ingredients. Add in chopped pecans or walnuts mix until
- In a separate bowl, blend all of your wet ingredients.
- Add the creamed wet mixture into the dry ingredients and
stir until well combined; the dough will be quite stiff. If too stiff and crumbly add a tablespoon of
hemp milk at a time to make it behave.
- After mixing, scrape the dough out onto a lightly floured
work surface and BRIEFLY knead.
- Dump the mound of dough on to the prepared baking sheet and
press with a rubber spatula- or your hands- to make a long flat log shape.
- Bake the dough in the center of a preheated oven for 20 to
30 minutes. Actual time will depend on your oven and the size and shape of the
log. The dough should bake up firm and
be dry in the center when you insert a cake tester.
- Take the dough log out of the oven and allow it to cool for
at least 20 minutes. Set your oven temperature lower, 275 to 300 degrees F.
- When the dough log is cool enough to handle, hold it in
place with one hand and a clean tea towel and slice it crosswise- cleanly and
carefully!- with a large, very sharp serrated knife.
- Lay the biscotti on the parchment lined baking sheet, return
to the oven and bake them for 10 to 12 minutes or so, keeping an eye on them.
You want them to crisp up a bit in the oven, but not burn.
- Remove the biscotti from the oven and, place them on a wire
- When completely cooled store in an air tight container and
freeze or refrigerate.
Questions or Comments?
Like a recipe or something you read? LET US KNOW!
Have a Question don't be shy, ASK US!
Return from Sugar Free Chocolate Biscotti to: